What is significant?
The Former Baptist Church, 3 Dawson Street, Ballarat, was designed by Ballarat architect J.A. Doane, begun in 1866-67 and completed externally in 1875-79. The Baptist Church is located in a church precinct dating from the 1860s, close to the intersection of Sturt and Dawson Streets, which is dominated by St Patrick’s Cathedral and Hall as well as St Andrew’s Kirk on the other side of Sturt Street and the former Congregational Church in Dawson Street. The church was renovated in 1891, 1910 and again in 1933. In 1958 further internal changes were made. A new pulpit and panelling in front of the choir stalls were dedicated in September 1959. The stuccoed main facade features a double storied, pedimented prostyle portico on fluted Corinthian columns. The main wall is faced with giant Corinthian pilasters supporting the parapet and continuous entablature and is infilled with ashlar masonry and blind pedimented openings. The bluestone side walls have not been rendered. The church is largely intact externally. The window and door openings survive. The exterior has been painted white and internally the platform, pews, baptistery, choir stalls and sloping auditorium floor have been removed, and a mezzanine floor introduced.
How is it significant ?
The Former Baptist Church, 3 Dawson Street, Ballarat is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Former Baptist Church, Ballarat, is architecturally significant as a rare example of a substantial church in the classical revival style.
The Former Baptist Church, Ballarat is architecturally significant as one of a small group of Baptist churches in this style and is externally the most intact.
The Former Baptist Church, Ballarat is architecturally significant as one of J. A. Doane’s most important works and is of note particularly for the fine detailing of the pedimented portico.
The Former Baptist Church, Ballarat is architecturally and historically significant as part of one of the finest religious precincts in Victoria, constructed in the 1860s from the prosperity due to the gold discoveries.