A two-storey corner hotel built in 1853 incorporating an earlier two-storey house. The first licensee in 1853 of the Oddfellows Hotel was a Frederick Pearce. From the late 1890s the hotel function was reduced and the rear rooms were used by Chinese cabinet makers until, in 1912, it was de-licensed and sold to Cheok Hong Cheong, a cabinet maker. It remained in that use until 1948 when it was acquired by the Commonwealth of Australia. The building is almost entirely intact externally (including many signs) and is a most evocative remnant of the poorest quarter of 19th century Melbourne, illustrating not only the early social life in the area but also its later takeover by Chinese merchants stigmatised in the wealthier part of the city.
NB: See also B2818 Commonwealth Government Owned Buildings.