This buuestone arch bridge, built in 1870, has a single main span of 25.9 metres, this being either the fourth or fifth large stone arch span ever built in Australia. It was exceeded by Lansdowne (1836, 26.7 metres), Parramatta (1839, 27.4 metres), and the first Princes Bridge, Melbourne (1850, 45.7 metres). There is also another large span stone arch across Merri Creek in Heidelberg Road (possibly 1867), which may be larger. Together with the adjacent Newlands Road Bridge it was built by prisoners from Pentridge Gaol. The use of prison labour to build these two bridges makes them unusual in Victoria.