One of Victoria's grandest Edwardian houses, built in 1908 for Sir Edward Miller who lived in it until his death in 1932, after which it was occupied by his widow and then by his son, Everard Studley Miller, art patron and collector, who lived in it until his own death in 1956. The design was by Rodney Alsop, of Klingender and Alsop, at a time when he was deeply involved in the Arts and Crafts movement, and this involvement is reflected in the leadlight windows, repousse metal door furniture and carved woodwork all in a eucalypt theme, the beaten metal light fittings, including the standards at the upper level of the stairwell, and the wrought iron gates. The house is in good condition and relatively intact, but has been subjected to some carefully handled structural alterations. The pebbledash render of the exterior has been overpainted, internal wall surfaces have been redecorated, and most fireplaces and chimneypieces removed, but the greatest losses are the once extensive grounds, and probably the furnishings, which are likely to have been designed to some extent integrally with the house.
Classified : 14/04/1988