The mill was once a substantial five-storey rectangular building constructed of locally quarried bluestone with a corrugated iron roof. The mill machinery was driven by an undershot waterwheel with water being supplied along a bluestone lined raceway for a distance of about 800 feet. (243.8 metres) from the Barwon River where a stone weir had been constructed.
The mill was the second one to be built at Fyansford about 1849 and the weir and raceway are now the oldest extant structures on the river. The rights to the use of the river water were the subject of dispute in 1874/5 when the proprietors of the nearby Barwon Paper Mill began the construction of their works on the opposite bank. What now remains of the flour mill race wall provides a point of reference by which to judge how the paper mill company thwarted the conditions under which the available water was to be shared.