The Fyansford Hotel, near the junction of the Barwon and Moorabool Rivers, marks one of the oldest river crossing places in Western Victoria. The hotel has important landmark associations with this historic district.
This two storey brick structure, a transitional colonial Georgian style hotel, was erected in 1854 for publican CB Dawson. The architect is unrecorded. The distinctive symmetrical fenestration and angled corner entrance, now enclosed, were characteristic mid-19th century features of public house architecture.