Former Bank of New South Wales is a bluestone structure erected in 1856 for the bank to the designs of architect Andrea Stombuco. The two storied structure is constructed in coursed bluestone masonry and has a hipped slate roof. It is symmetrically arranged about the centrally located, single storied porch, which is faced with bands and has a cornice. The chimneys, eaves, brackets, quoins, window and door surrounds and string course are features.
The Former Bank forms part of the notable townscape of Kyneton, an important nineteenth century highway town. This bank is a landmark in the town and is an essential part of its streetscape. The structure is particularly representative of the long business centre of the town, which contracted after the gold rushes, closing this bank. The important, essentially Georgian design is distinguished by its Regency porch and Classical eaves brackets and chimneys.
The Former Bank closed in the 1880s and was a residence until recent years when the building became a Museum. Intactness is good and condition is excellent.
Classified: June 1968.