The present Shamrock Hotel is the third on this site. The first was erected in 1854 and included the local Cobb and Co. office and a concert hall. The second was larger in size and built in 1864. The present building dates from 1897. The architect was P Kennedy and the contractors were Baxter and Boyne.
The four storey brick structure has an elaborate mansard roof and decorative rendered street facades which are encircled by a two storey verandah.
The Shamrock Hotel is an outstanding Bendigo landmark and is prominently situated at the principal intersection of this historic city. It is among the finest boom style hotels in Victoria and with its elaborate facade, mansard roofs and distinctive corner tower, epitomizes the boom style architecture which is so prolific in Bendigo. A hotel of this name has been situated on this site since early times and for many years has been the social centre of the city. The hotel's register has included many notable guests.
The building has recently been restored.
Classified: 'Local' 14/11/1968