The Sanitarium Factory Complex, comprising the Sanitarium Health Food Company Factory and 'Signs of the Times' Printing Works, designed by architect Edward Billson and built by T R & L Cockram between 1936 and 1939, landscaped to Billson's concept, and still in operation, is of State cultural significance:
- for its skilful assembly of contrasting geometric, brick-clad forms and an early example of the small group of non-residential buildings which successfully emulate European Modern architecture (particularly Dudok) and hence create a precedent for Australian post-war commercial and industrial architecture; its importance was recognised by the award of the Royal Victorian Institute of Architects Street Architecture Medal in 1940;
- for its isolated location and use, expressing the diet and health philosophies of the Seventh Day Adventist Church; this rural location being a distinguishing aspect among the other buildings which had previously received the Institute's Street Architecture Medal;
- for its garden setting, a fine example of an industrial garden typifying a trend towards outer urban or rural sites with ample grounds and a range of worker amenities, such as outdoor eating areas, separate carparking, detached factory buildings partially concealed by planting, and a concern for townscape amenity expressed here by the low brick fence and row of mature trees; and
- for its considerable aesthetic qualities, derived largely from the crisp architectural detailing and contrast of materials, the mature garden setting, and the focus of the buildings as dramatic punctuations in a predominantly forested setting.