Finlay Avenue was planted in Manifold Street on 12 July 1876 honouring the trees' donors, Mr A S Finlay and his son C Finlay of Glenormiston.
A total of 290 trees were planted by school children and residents of Camperdown and since this initial planting, there have been further planting of Elms along Manifold Street, notably in 1952. This is a magnificent avenue but the trees need constant and expert management.
01/09/2011 'A controversial plan to remove the entire 500 elm trees of historic Finlay Avenue has been shelved for another four years. Corangamite Shire Council has agreed to wait for the results of a planting trial before reconsidering a plan to replace the 135-year-old trees.'