House at 128-155 Queen Street ALTONA, Hobsons Bay Heritage Study 2006
Statement of Significance
What is Significant?
'Altona' Homestead (former 'Laverton'), comprising the homestead constructed in stages between c.1855 and 1909 and the remnant significant trees, at 128 Queen Street and 155-173 Esplanade, Altona
How is it Significant?
'Altona' (former 'Laverton') is of local historic, social and aesthetic significance to the City of Hobsons Bay.
Why is it Significant?
Historically, it is significant as the oldest house in the Altona area and one of the oldest within the Western region. It demonstrates the immediate post-contact pastoralist phase of development and has strong associations with Alfred Langhorne who was one of the first European settlers in this area. It is also significant for its associations with the development of local government as the first home of Altona City Council after it was formed in the mid-1950s until it moved to its new offices in 1963. (AHC criteria A4 and B2)
Socially, it is significant for its strong associations with the Altona community as an important local landmark and as the first council offices at a formative time in the city's development. It is highly valued by the local community. (AHC criterion G1)
Aesthetically, it is significant as an unusual and rare example of an early homestead, which demonstrates its various development phases through an overlaid series of architectural styles. The Edwardian wing is notable for its skilful design, which suggests the involvement of an architect and its integration with the earlier building. Although the once extensive grounds have been lost, the historic setting of the house is enhanced by the mature trees and shrubs in the surrounding reserve, which are believed to be the remnants of the original garden. (AHC criteria E1 and F1)