The former Travellers Rest Inn was erected in 1849 for licencee John Primrose. This rectangular plan Colonial Georgian structure of rendered rubble granite was converted to a residence in 1865 for Jacob Hammerli who acquired the inn
and surrounding Paradise 4 Vineyard. The Travellers Rest Inn is the oldest surviving building in Batesford and one of the earliest constructed wayside inns in Victoria. This building which was strategically located at the ford crossing place of the Moorabool river served as a wayside inn for only a short time as the opening of the Ballarat Geelong railway line in April 1862 deprived the proprietors of most of the overnight custom. For many years the building was associated with the vineyards operated by Jacob Hammerli a noted district vigneron.