FORMER WALHALLA POST OFFICE AND RESIDENCE SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - June 22, 1999
The former Walhalla Post Office and the Post Master's residence incorporated with it were built in 1885. The contractor was John Richmond. The design was prepared in 1884 for the Public Works Department by J R Brown under John Thomas Kelleher who was the supervising architect for Gippsland at that time.
The Walhalla Post Office and Residence is typical in its form and planning. The designer has taken advantage of the necessity of timber construction by elaborating the verandah and roof details. The gables of the main roof are half-hipped. The front gable projects with an arched truss and king-post finial. Dormer vents decorate the main roof and the residential wing roofs.
The building is very much intact and the main office is as it was left in 1963. The whole building has a very high degree of integrity. The only external alterations are the enclosure of the south verandah and part of the main verandah and the removal of the chimney pots. The existing external painting survives from the 1940s when the present owner purchased the property. Internally very little has been altered with significant paint, paper and carpet finishes surviving.