St Joseph's Church at Benalla, constructed in 1907-8 to the designs of the architecture firm Kempson and Conolly, is architecturally important as an unusually large and ornate church building for country Victoria.
It is the best example of the ecclesiastical work of the firm of Kempson and Conolly, which specialised in church design. Its design in red brick, described by the architects as "Australian Romanesque", also shows Spanish Baroque influences. The 'wavy' parapet to the sides is most unusual.
It is a good example of craftsmanship with its well executed details. The original interior featured an ornate curved pressed metal ceiling painted bronze with relief work in verdigris.
Note: the pressed metal ceiling and roof were destroyed by fire in 1989; the ceiling has been replicated and the slate roof with terracotta capping has since been replaced with grey Colorbond corrugated roofing.