The former Court House was constructed in 1865 and considerably altered in 1888. It is a substantial neo-classical symmetrical building with bi-chromatic brickwork and stuccoed enrichment. In 1960 it was acquired by the Church of England as a Parish Centre.
How is it significant?
The former Court House is considered significant for social, historical and architectural reasons.
Why is it significant?
The former Benalla Court House is important for its social and cultural association as the establishment of land offices in the Colony of Victoria generally indicated the size and importance of the town. It is also important in its ability to demonstrate the history of settlement in the State, being constructed to facilitate the policy and process of closer settlement. The former Land Office is significant because of its ability to demonstrate a sequence of functions and usages over time, initially as a lands office and more recently for the Holy Trinity Parish purposes. The former Benalla Lands Office is also important as a representative and essentially intact example of work of the Public Works Department under the direction of William Wardell during the 1860s.