This property has great state historical significance as a residence associated with one of the most prominent Geelong wool merchants. It was built in 1891 from the designs of the architect C. D. Figgis for Charles Shannon, who had associations with the woolbroking firm, Strachans, and was a partner with Godfrey Hirst from the foundation of Hirsts Mill in 1890. Shannon was president of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce and Newtowns mayor at the turn of the century. It has regional architectural significance as an important early Edwardian mansion. Particularly important, is the circular tower, which is detailed with great care and derived from the French chateaux of the early sixteenth century. This may be the finest tower of this type in Australia. Of technical interest are the unusual flat terracotta roof tiles on the main roof and others on the tower which have not yet been identified.