Port Fairy court house, built in 1859, is an example of the Victorian Free Classical style with arcuated facade and gable roof.
It is significant in its use of local bluestone.
It was originally built to accommodate a circuit court, on the same plan as Pleasant Creek (Stawell), Hamilton and Creswick. Its alterations in 1864 and 1873-74 illustrate the sequence of usages over time to allow for additional accommodation including separate judge's room and barrister's room.
See 2008 Site Monitoring Event and initial survey in Port Fairy Historical Society Collection listing for details of the Port Fairy Historical Society collection housed in the former Court House.