The former Glenelg Wannon Water Board Office at 88A Whyte Street, Coleraine is a small single storey, single fronted brick shop with a residence at the rear. It was built as early as 1859 as a store, possibly for Robert Gage, and was subsequently owned by the brothers, Louis and Abraham Lesser, who were storekeepers in Coleraine in the latter quarter of the nineteenth century. The year 1859 has been suggested for its construction, a claim which is reinforced by the unusually small bricks which were used in its construction. The building has been much modified and now appears in a condition which reflects the mid twentieth century. For at least ten years it was used as the principal office of the Glenelg and Wannon Water Board. It is presently used as professional rooms.
How is it significant?
The former Glenelg and Wannon Water Board Office is of scientific and historical significance to the township of Coleraine and to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The former Glenelg and Wannon Water Board Office is of scientific significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire as it represents the introduction and administration of reticulated water supply and sewerage disposal within the township of Coleraine and surrounding area. It is of historical significance for its associations with the Lesser family, who were important local businessmen. The building is also of historical significance as potentially the oldest surviving commercial building in Coleraine.
GLENELG WANNON WATER BOARD OFFICE (FORMER) - Physical Description 1
A single storey, single fronted brick shop, now much altered from its original design, with a residence at the rear. The facade now has a large plate glass window and a single door with a simple stepped pediment above. Importantly, the bricks used in the carcase of the building are very small and locally made (Troeth, 59). This reinforces the claim that the building is the oldest surviving commercial building in Whyte Street if not Coleraine. The roof is corrugated iron.