Christ Church School_Daylesford_North Elevation 01_Feb 2004_mz
Statement of Significance
What is Significant? Christ Church, Church of England School was built as a non vested denominational school. Built as a single roomed school by the Anglican congregation of Daylesford, the building was completed in April 1857 and the school opened on 4 May 1857 with 50 pupils enrolled. The school building was also used for worship until the church , designed by architect Leonard Terry, was opened in December 1864.
Following Victoria's separation from New South the National Board of Education was established in Victoria in December 1851. The Denominational Schools Board had been established in 1848. Schools built and funded by each of these boards were known as 'vested' schools, whereas schools not funded by either board were termed 'non vested' and remained financially independent. As a consequence the Denominational Board exerted little control over the design of non vested schools and their designs varied greatly. Only six of these are known to survive.
In September 1862 the National and Denominational Schools boards were abolished with the implementation of the Common Schools Act. The intention was to amalgamate schools and reduce denominational influence. All Common Schools were publicly owned from 1863 and were numbered. The Christ Church School became Common School 190 until it closed on 31 December 1873 when the Education Department took over responsibility for public education in Victoria. The control of the building then reverted to the Trustees of Christ Church. The school reopened in January 1885 as Daylesford College, operating for a period in the town as a private college for 'young ladies and gentlemen'. The building since continued to be used as a Sunday School and Hall.
Built in three stages, the school is a plain Gothic single storey brick structure with narrow lancet windows, external engaged columns resembling buttresses and block lined stucco to the exterior walls. The first stage was a single room with a single gabled porch entry and gallery seating to the western end. The school was extended in 1864 with the addition of a girls' wing. This was added across the eastern end of the existing room to form a 'T' shape. The addition of the girls' wing was partially funded by local land owner W.E. Stanbridge who was a major benefactor to the Anglican church in Daylesford and allowed the boys and a girls to be taught separately. A plaque on the building reads "This girls school room is a gift to education by W. E. Stanbridge out of gold obtained from the Concordia Tunnel and Defiance Paddock". A third room was later added to the south side of the original room.
It appears that the building was allowed to deteriorate and remained in a neglected condition until repairs to the building were carried out in 1883. The stained and varnished pine panel ceilings , pine dados, oak grained doors and the block-lined stucco date from this time. The roof had been replaced in 1882.
How is it Significant?
Christ Church, Church of England School, Daylesford is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it Significant? Christ Church, Church of England School, Daylesford is of historical significance as a rare remaining example of a non vested denominational school. The school is also of historical significance for its association with the development of education in Victoria during the nineteenth century as a non vested denominational school, a common school and as a private college.
Christ Church, Church of England School, Daylesford is of architectural significance as a rare example of a non vested denominational school building.