What is significant?
The ruined house and outbuilding are located on the north side of the Mirranatwa School Road, in the hamlet of Mirranatwa. The ruined house is of timber, and dates from the late nineteenth century or early twentieth century, as does the timber outbuilding, probably a laundry. Adjacent to the house is a domed brick baking oven which is in poor repair. The land around the house and outbuilding indicates the remains of a substantial vegetable and flower garden, with much disturbed and furrowed earth evident. The land was taken up by William J. Dark in 1874-75 under the Land Selection Acts. Dark worked with his brother Arthur and father Thomas as a shingle splitter in the Victoria Forest. It is believed that he left the area in about 1884, and the current house and outbuildings were built after this date. There has been no builder associated with the design. The house is in ruinous condition, the brick oven and laundry are in poor condition, although all structures retain a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The ruined house and outbuilding are of historical significance as items for the VIctorian Heritage Inventory
Why is it significant?
The ruined house and outbuilding are of historical significance for their association with the local family of the Darks, who have been in the Victoria Valley and Mirranatwa area since 1874. It is of further historical significance as it provides us with evidence and a physical reminder of a past way of life.