Statement of Significance
The Bunyip Hotel, a single storey rendered brick building, is located on the corner of Scott and Barker Street, in the central of the township of Cavendish. The hotel has been located on the same site from the beginnings of the township as an Inn at a river crossing. The hotel is in very good condition and retains a high degree of integrity externally to the pre WW2 appearance.
How is it significant?
The Bunyip Hotel is of architectural and historical significance to the township of Cavendish and the Southern Grampians Shire Council
Why is it significant?
The Cavendish Hotel is architecturally significant as a typical example of an Interwar country hotel. Historically, this hotel served as important meeting places for the community in the early stage of the town's development.
BUNYIP HOTEL - Physical Conditions
Very good condition
BUNYIP HOTEL - Physical Description 1
The Bunyip Hotel is a large single storey asymmetrical building located on the north west corner of Scott and Barker Streets in the centre of the township of Cavendish. The hotel is constructed from rendered and painted bricks, the early sections are constructed of locally made bricks. The roof is hipped and covered in terracotta tiles.
The curved facade of the hotel fronts both Scott and Barker Street, and unlike most hotels, there is a row of windows rather than a door located on the corner of the two streets.
BUNYIP HOTEL - Historical Australian Themes
3. Developing local, regional and national economies
3.12.5 Retailing foods and beverages
3.22 Lodging people
3.23 Catering for tourists
4. Building settlements, towns and cities
4.5 Making settlements to serve rural Australia
8. Developing Australia's cultural life
8.4 Eating and drinking
8.14 Living in the country and rural settlements
BUNYIP HOTEL - Usage/Former Usage
BUNYIP HOTEL - Integrity
high degree of integrity externally to the pre WW2 appearance.
BUNYIP HOTEL - Physical Description 2
Philmore and Waddell, who held it from 1842-1855. They were followed by Alexander and Bridget Donaldson, until 1859. Subsequently, the hotel has been owned by 26 different owners, most of who have held the hotel for 5 years or less. Only 3 owners have had lengthy tenures. Allan McCallum owned it from 1868-1874, Norman and Sarah McLeod were there from 1935 to 1952, and Beverley and Ron Whykes from 1970-1980.
Heritage Study and Grading
Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon
BIGGS PIPE ORGANVictorian Heritage Register H2404
ST LUKE'S LUTHERAN CHURCHSouthern Grampians Shire
LOCK-UP (FORMER)Southern Grampians Shire
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687