What is significant?
The former Masonic Hall in Parker Street, Dunkeld was opened in January, 1938 when Wor. Bro K A McLeod was the Master. The Mount Sturgeon Lodge No. 196 had been formed in 1904 when Wor. Bro. A E Lineker was the Foundation Master. Land on the western side of the township was donated by the Armytage partnership which owned the nearby Mount Sturgeon station. The single storey timber building is in a stripped Classical style, standard for all Masonic buildings. No architect or builder has been associated with its construction. The building is in good condition but much of the iconography and furnishings associated with Freemasonry were removed when it was sold in 2001.
How is it significant?
The former Masonic Lodge is of historical, social and architectural significance to the township of Dunkeld and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The former Masonic Hall, Parker Street, Coleraine is of historical significance as a long-term demonstration of Freemasonry. It is of social significance as a venue for the community coming together to share common interests. It is of architectural significance because its style, form and scale express the conservative values of Freemasonry.