What is significant?
The motor garage is located in the south side of Martin Street, two blocks south of the Glenelg Highway. The garage is a large L-shaped industrial building framed in timber and clad in horizontal corrugated iron, with shallow-pitched gabled roofs clad with corrugated iron. The north elevation has a large central double timber door. The north gable has an old Mobilgas sign with the red flying horse logo. The west elevation has an asymmetrical double door and a three-light double hung sash window. There are high level windows in the minor elevations. The internal corner of the L-shaped plan is partly filled with a small room, the outside wall of which is on the diagonal. Two modern petrol pumps stand outside some distance from the building. There has been no architect or builder associated with the design, which is thought to have been built post 1930. The building is in good condition and retains a high degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The motor garage is of historical and architectural significance to the township of Dunkeld and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The motor garage is of historical significance for its demonstration of the sequence of development and adaptation on the site which has been associated with road transport from the early twentieth century. Of further significance is the remaining 'Mobilgas' sign on the gable, which illustrates a previous way of life, and a product and company which has been altered. The building is of architectural significance as a good example of small scale industrial architecture in the Interwar period.