The house at 310 Gisborne-Melton Road Toolern Vale is significant as a moderately intact example of a Victorian style dwelling constructed in rendered brickwork and as a historical legacy of farming developments in the Melton Shire in the nineteenth century. The rear outbuilding, mature cypresses and rural setting also contribute to the significance of the place. The house and dairy were built in 1874 for John and Margaret McPherson, of a prominent pioneering Toolern Vale family.
The house at 310 Gisborne-Melton Road Toolern Vale is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D.2). Although altered, it still demonstrates original design qualities of a Victorian style. These qualities include the hipped roof form, together with the encircling verandah. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the single storey height, rendered brick wall construction, corrugated profile sheet metal roof cladding, brick chimney, stop chamfered timber verandah posts, timber verandah floor, timber framed, 12 paned double hung windows, front timber framed doorway with highlight, and the smooth rendered masonry quoinwork. The rear gabled outbuilding constructed of rendered brickwork with smooth rendered masonry quoinwork, narrow vertical wall openings, single door opening with timber door and the galvanised corrugated steel roof cladding, together with the nearby mature cypress trees, also contribute to the significance of the place.
The house at 310 Gisborne-Melton Road Toolern Vale is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A4). It is an example of a homestead built by a successful larger farmer, of which there were a few in the northern parts of the Shire. It also testifies to the prominence of Scottish settlers in the farming history of the Shire, particularly in early Toolern Vale. It is also significant for its association with the McPherson family, a successful pioneering family in Toolern Vale.
Overall, the house at 310 Gisborne-Melton Road Toolern Vale is of LOCAL significance.