The house at 1376-1432 Calder Highway, Diggers Rest, is significant as a predominantly intact example of a rudimentary transitional Late Victorian and Federation style. Built in the early twentieth century and moved to the present site around the time of the Second World War, the house shows signs of substantial deterioration in the weatherboard wall cladding and front verandah in particular. The main roof has been recently reclad in corrugated sheet metal roofing.
The house at 1376-1432 Calder Highway, Diggers Rest, is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D.2, E.1). Although relocated, it demonstrates original design qualities of a rudimentary transitional Late Victorian and Federation style. These qualities include the simple gambrel roof form that traverses the site, together with the hipped convex verandah that projects towards the road. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the symmetrical composition, single storey height, horizontal timber weatherboard wall cladding, corrugated sheet metal roof cladding, face red brick chimney, narrow eaves, central timber framed doorway with four panelled timber door, twelve paned timber framed double hung windows, timber verandah posts with simple timber capitals, and the timber fretwork verandah valance.
The house at 1376-1432 Calder Highway, Diggers Rest, is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A4, B2). It is associated with two of the Diggers Rest industrial proprietors, Robinson Brothers (Chaff Mill), and EA Tame (Wire Wire Fence Co.). It is by far the oldest and most intact house remaining in the town of Diggers Rest. It is prominently situated, on the Calder Highway, close to the road, and relatively isolated. The coppiced gums contribute a rural character to the place.
Overall, the house at 1376-1432 Calder Highway is of LOCAL significance.