The Bridge Road Bridge is an early (1913) and relatively intact example of a concrete girder bridge built by Sir John Monash for the Shire of Melton. It was built to provide railway station access to the new farming areas being opened by the break-up of the pastoral estates, in particular the Closer Settlement Board's Exford Estate. Its setting in a deep gully enhances its aesthetic significance.
The Bridge Road Bridge is aesthetically and technically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC F1). It is an early, moderately intact example of a reinforced concrete girder bridge in Victoria. It is a fine intact example of (later Sir) John Monash's functionalist approach to bridge-building in reinforced concrete as the most economical way of providing a permanent structure on country roads. It is dates to the formative period in concrete beam and slab construction, which became widespread in the 1910s and 20s.
The Bridge Road Bridge is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A4, B2, H1). It was designed and built by prominent Australian John Monash, and the Reinforced Concrete & Monier Pipe Construction Company. The bridge is also significant as the major expression in Melton of the public works associated with the new farming era associated with the break-up of the Shire's vast pastoral estates, and in particular with the extensive work of the Closer Settlement Board. More generally the bridge is an excellent example, in period engineering style, of the early twentieth century policy of building bridges to connect farms with railway stations, and in particular the demand for such roads and bridges by the farmers on newly subdivided pastoral estates.
Overall, the Bridge Road Bridge is significant at a LOCAL level.