Dunvegan within The Willows Historical Park, 68-74 Reserve Road, Melton, is significant as a moderately intact example of a Victorian style. Originally built c.1870, the house appears to be in good condition when viewed from the street. It was demolished and rebuilt on its present site in 1977.
Dunvegan within The Willows Historical Park, 68-74 Reserve Road, Melton, is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D2). Although relocated to and reconstructed at this site, the house still demonstrates original design qualities of a Victorian style. These qualities include the simple gable roof form, together with the verandah that projects at the front. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the symmetrical composition, single storey height, coursed, squared rubble bluestone wall construction, corrugated profile sheet metal roofing (but not the zincalume finish), narrow eaves, timber verandah columns, bevelled timber verandah valances, vertical timber boarded fretwork verandah infill at the sides, central timber framed door opening with highlight, and the timber framed 12 paned double hung windows.
Dunvegan within The Willows Historical Park is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A4 B2). As well as having been a residence, the building has served a variety of public uses, including the town's first police station (for which purpose it was originally built), Mechanic's Institute library, Civil Defence headquarters and State Emergency Service store. It is a rare surviving early bluestone building within the town of Melton.
Dunvegan is socially significant at a LOCAL level (AHC G1). The relocation of the building in The Willows Historical Park is expressive the community's value of the old bluestone building, a relic of its early days, in a period of major redevelopment within the town.
Overall, Dunvegan within The Willows Historical Park at Melton is of LOCAL significance.