Thurla is of State architectural significance as a house virtually intact to its original condition and retaining its original garden setting. The house was designed by the important domestic architect Walter Butler, of Inskip & Butler, for his accountant brother Richard Butler in 1903. Acquired by Ernest Ricardo in 1904m it remained in the possession of the family until June 1992.
Thurla exhibits externally traditional elements such as rough cast stucco, red face brickwork, a tiled roof and half timbering, which all derive from medieval domestic construction in Northern. Europe. These are, however, combined in a free manner with deliberate asymmetrical devices such as hooded triangular plan window bays and Art Nouveau inspired cast cement detailing to constitute the Edwardian Freestyle.
Internally, lacquered joinery, polished floors, sympathetically coloured wallpapers and a notable arboreal frieze above the dining room picture rail provide a period atmosphere.