The two adjacent shops built at different times between 1870 and 1900, and the attached dwelling at 2127 Heathcote-Redesdale Road are significant. All of the construction is known to have been completed before 1920. The stone drainage channel is also significant.
How is it significant?
The shops and dwelling are of local historic, technical and aesthetic significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
Historically, as a rare example of this type of early 20th century small town attached shops, the only other examples in the study area are found in Heathcote. The adjacent dwelling provides tangible evidence of the living arrangements of the successive butchers and shopkeepers who ran these businesses. (Criterion B, A)
Aesthetically, the middle shop with the decorative curved parapet and intact details such as diagonal timber stallboard, lamb's tongue glazing bars, and elaborate sill moulding, is an unusually attractive and complex country shop of its era. (Criterion E)
The residence is technically significant for the timber paling and shingle roof that remains under iron. (Criterion F)
2127 Heathcote-Redesdale Road comprises two shops and a residence. It appears likely that the residence and right hand shop with the curved parapet is the earlier part of the building with the gable roofed shop being added at a later date. This is apparent in the different window designs to the shopfronts. The house has gable roofs and a straight profile verandah of wide proportions that matches those of the adjacent shops although is set at a lower level. There are a number of alterations to the rear of the residence including some new construction that links an outbuilding to the main house. Unusually, the residence has no front setback and opens directly onto the footpath as do the shops. The verandah has an intact frieze, however, the verandah posts have been replaced in galvanized pipe.
Of most interest is the middle shop that retains its stallboard in diagonally laid timber, and the ingoing entrance to the shop. The glazing bars are of lamb's tongue mouldings and there is an elaborately constructed sill moulding. The glass has been removed from the high level at one side of the entry and timber cladding has been used as infill panels. This is a later addition possibly connected with the use of the shop for residential purposes. Both parapets are clad in iron of a modern profile, replacing timber cladding. The timber verandah posts evident in the c.1920 photo have been replaced with galvanized pipe, however the verandah frieze in vertical timber with a rounded edge is still intact. Part of the residence has a timber shingle roof and sawn palings under the iron (information from Bert Knight, Mia Mia, Dec 2008).
The shops and dwelling are situated on the main road through Redesdale and have zero setback from the property boundary. Stone lined drainage channels are still evident across the front of the building and there are some large oak trees in the vicinity of the buildings.