The Shop and Residence at No. 13 Brunswick Street is a mannered two-storey brick building erected in 1892 as a chemist shop with upstairs residence for James MacInerny, a pharmacist. The three-bay facade has a pier and stilted segmental arch system with superimposed rusticated pilasters on the ground floor. The first floor has Corinthian pilasters. Pediments are visible above the main entrance, the first- floor windows and the parapet.
The Shop and Residence at No. 13 Brunswick Street is of historical and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
The Shop and Residence at No. 13 Brunswick Street is of historical significance as evidence of the character of local commercial development at the end of the 19th century. The presence of the residence above the shop is evidence of the locally based nature of work and residence patterns in the 19th century city. The integration of the shop into the street’s residential fabric is a demonstration of the mixed use character of Melbourne’s older suburbs.
The Shop and Residence at No. 13 Brunswick Street is of architectural significance as an interesting example of late boom classicism and of 19th century shop design. The substantially intact facade is characterised by elaborated and distorted features and the use of segmental arches, and provides a rare example of a 19th century shop front. The building is an important feature of the Brunswick/Gertrude Street precinct, with its distinctive 19th century streetscape.