The Blacksmith's Shop and Residence at Strathbogie comprises a group of timber buildings on a large township block. The building housing the forge and wheelwright's shop is of drop slab and timber pole construction with some bark lining and a galvanised gable and skillion roof. The building was constructed in at least two stages. The earlier housing the forge is reputed to have been built in c.1892 and moved to this site around 1900 by a blacksmith called Letzke. The business was operated from 1908 to 1920 by Jim Rae and then continuously by Albert Price until shortly before his death in 1987. The property is the home of a remarkably intact collection of tools and other artefact connected with the trades of blacksmith and wheelwright. The property also contains a simple weatherboard residence and as well as several timber outbuildings. The collection of buildings is in good condition considering their age but at the time of registration the forge building was in need of urgent stabilising repairs and attention to the roof cladding.
How is it significant?
The Blacksmith's Shop and Residence at Strathbogie are of historic, social and scientific (technological) significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The Blacksmith's Shop and Residence at Strathbogie are of historic importance as a relatively rare and intact example of a once plentiful type. The existence of a near complete set of tools and equipment, still stored in their original setting and locations, is crucial to the significance of the place. The place is historically important for its associations with Albert Price, the Strathbogie blacksmith who operated at the site for 67 years.
The Blacksmith's Shop and Residence at Strathbogie are of social importance as an example of, and its ability to demonstrate, the way of life of a 'village smithy'. The place is socially significant because it contains all the elements of a self sufficient lifestyle including a virtually intact forge and wheelwright's shop with its collection of tools and equipment, as well as a saw bench, cow bail, dairy within a water tank stand, shearing plant, the remains of a fowl house, a washhouse and larder, and a well with both hand and mechanical pumps.
The Blacksmith's Shop and Residence at Strathbogie are of scientific (technological) importance for its near complete set of blacksmith's and wheelwright's tools and equipment. The collection is important not only for its intactness but because many of the tools were made by Albert Price for his own use.