FORMER STRACHAN MURRAY AND SHANNON WOOL WAREHOUSES SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - June 24, 1999
Construction of Strachan Murray & Shannon Wool Warehouses commenced in 1889 on a site which had always been a focal point of the Geelong wool trade. The building as it presents to us today was constructed over a 61 year period and each phase of that construction was undertaken in a sympathetic manner to the initial design. As a result the building is not only important for its role as a woolstore, but presents a remarkably homogeneous external form given its architectural history. The design is simple and a popular composition for the late nineteenth century, simple brick facades interrupted by segmental headed openings relieved at intervals by projecting partitions and capped with a strong horizontal cornice and parapet, itself interspersed with small pediments. The repetitive nature of the design leads to its significant role in the streetscape.