The cast iron mileposts on the Lismore Scarsdale Road and the Rokewood Skipton Road near Cape Clear are made of cast iron and marked Hunts Patent Ballarat. Cast iron mileposts appear to have been the successor to bluestone milestones and contracts for their construction were let during the 1870s. The posts near Cape Clear were cast in Hunt's foundry and consist of a large cast iron angle with a welded sloping cast iron wedge to the top. A patent (specification No.1585) was deposited in 1871 by James Hunt for "An improved distance indicator". The description reads, "The indicator is made of cast iron, furnished with letters and figures, and either made to fasten upon a stone, or cast within a projecting flange, at bottom capable of being inserted about two feet into the ground". The mileposts read (B1): Pitfield 0 - Ballarat 26 - Scarsdale 11; (B2): Pitfield 2 - Ballarat 24 - Scarsdale 9. Milepost (B1) has been painted in Indian Red with white lettering while (B2) has been painted white with black lettering.
The cast iron mileposts on the Lismore Scarsdale Road and the Rokewood Skipton Road are of historical and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
The cast iron mileposts on the Lismore Scarsdale Road and the Rokewood Skipton Road are of historical significance for their association with the development of early Victoria. Road construction was accelerated following the economic boom of the gold rushes in Victoria and the mileposts were a direct response to this, trying to rationalise the road system of a developing colony. The cast iron mileposts near Cape Clear assist in a greater understanding of the development and impact of 19th century economic activity in the State and the resultant need for transport systems. The mileposts on the Lismore Scarsdale Road and the Rokewood Skipton Road are a visual reminder of the evolution of Victoria's infrastructure and the past imperial system of measurements and weights. The mileposts are of historical importance for their ability to describe transport routes and requirements of the 1870s. The replacement of mileposts was not uncommon in the early years of Victoria's cultural history and it is not unusual to find that mileposts were replaced two or three times in one location as techniques improved and an increase in traffic necessitated upgrades. Many of the cast iron mileposts which once denoted distances between towns have since been removed or relocated to cater for the rise in motor vehicular traffic.
The removal of the mileposts, and their respective re-instatement, is of historical significance. After the fall of Pearl Harbour in 1942, most milestones were dug up and buried a few meters behind their original location; most were re-instated into their original locations in 1946. The mileposts were removed or hidden in an attempt to thwart enemy forces in the event that Australia was invaded. This act symbolises what was a national psychological response to a major world crisis and a reaction to particular events outside Australia's national boundaries. The cast iron mileposts near Cape Clear are historically significant as remnant representatives of a network of mileposts.
The cast iron mileposts on the Lismore Scarsdale Road and the Rokewood Skipton Road near Cape Clear are of architectural significance as good examples of 19th century iron casting techniques and their simple but elegant shape is aesthetically pleasing. In June 1871, the need arose to measure up the Springdallah (now Lismore Scarsdale) and Upper Western (now Rokewood-Skipton Road) main roads. An estimate was made for the erection of mileposts along the roads after Councillors Laidlan and Baird of the Grenville Shire Council successfully brought the project under way. After several attempts to reduce the initially high tender prices, Contract No.23 was let to Patrick Monaghan & Co to supply and erect 15 mileposts at a cost of £37 16s. Afterwards, an additional sum of £3 12s was paid to Patrick Monaghan in August 1872.