Statement of Significance
What is significant?
The Park Street Precinct, comprising 226-256 Brunswick Road and 705-823 Park Street, Brunswick, is significant. Buildings and features that contribute to the significance of the precinct are:
- The houses and original front fences and tiled pathways dating from the Victorian to Edwardian eras (c.1880 to c.1920).
- Historic infrastructure including bluestone kerb and channel and bluestone laneways.
Non-Contributory properties are:
- 232, 244A & 244B Brunswick Road
- 705, 723A-D, 757, 759, 787-793, 811 & 815 Park Street
How is it significant?
The Park Street Precinct is of local architectural significance to the City of Moreland.
Why is it significant?
The Park Street Precinct is significant as a rare example of grander housing erected during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries for wealthier residents within Brunswick, which was otherwise a predominantly working class area. (Criterion A)
The Park Street Precinct is significant as a coherent and intact group of predominantly two-storey terraces and large Victorian and Edwardian villas, which reflect the prestige of this park-edge location. (Criteria D & E)
Park Street - Physical Description 1
The Park Street precinct comprises the following properties:
- 226-256 Brunswick Road
- 705-823 Park Street
The Park Street Precinct is a residential area to the west of Sydney Road andthat contains predominantly late Victorian boom style housing interspersed with a smaller number of Federation/Edwardian houses.
The Victorian era housing comprises both single and double storey terraces and detached villas. Constructed during the late 1880s boom most of the terraces are constructed of bi-chrome brick and are characterized by extravagant cement rendered decoration including highly decorated parapets and other details to end walls, as well as rich cast iron decoration to verandahs. Exceptions include the houses at 226-228 Brunswick Road and 731-733 Park Street, which have visible hipped roofs, but otherwise similar detailing. Most are double storey, but there are some single storey examples in both streets. Most of the Park Street examples are highly intact and many retain original cast iron front fences (some with massive rendered piers and wing walls) some with original tessellated tile paths and verandahs. Of note within the precinct is the section of Park Street at the eastern end, from No. 707 to No. 755, a series of very intact houses, mostly two-storey Victorian terraces and detached villas, bisected by the railway line with its associated Gatekeeper's Cabin and Gates.
The detached late nineteenth century houses are predominantly rendered Italianate style villas either asymmetrical or symmetrical in plan with projecting canted bay windows. Most have visible hipped roofs clad in slate or iron, a notable exception being 'Beaumont' at 230 Brunswick Road, which has a boom style balustraded parapet with arched pediments, urns, pinecones, scrolls and other details. The exceptions include 'Lemplar' the double storey house at no.761, which is an early example of the Queen Anne style (it was constructed prior to 1895) in red brick, and the former Presbyterian Manse at no.785, which is a large house constructed of red brick and a slate roof with twin gables (one set within the other) over the entry and 'jerkinhead' roofs to the other bays. The date of construction, 1896, is in raised letters in a triangular panel on the bay to the right of the entry.
Of note are the two-storey Victorian terraces at Nos. 707-717 and 795-809.
The Federation/Edwardian era houses are of similar scale and quality. Typically, they are constructed of red brick (sometimes with roughcast) and have picturesque form with complex hip and gable roofs clad in slate with ridge capping with
dominant street-facing gables or dormers. Gable ends are often half-timbered or have timber screens and verandahs have turned and/or fretted woodwork. Windows are often casements, sometimes arranged in bays, or double hung with multi-pane upper sashes. All located in Park Street, they include the gable-fronted house at no.725, which has Arts & Crafts details such as the half-timbered and shingled gable end, the double storey terrace house at no.761, the double-storey attic style house at no.779, and the pair of single storey terrace houses with transverse slate roofs and original cast iron palisade front fences at nos. 803-805.
A number of houses were demolished in the 1960s-70s and replaced by motels (Nos. 759 and 815) or flats (Nos. 757, 787, 789 and 791-793); despite these changes, the fabric of the Precinct remains predominantly 19th century.
The setting of the houses in Park Street is complemented by the mature plantings opposite in Royal Park, and traditional street elements include bluestone kerbs on the south side, deep swale/spoon gutters on the north and asphalt footpaths on both.
Heritage Study and Grading
Moreland - City of Moreland Heritage Review
Author: Allen Lovell and Associates
COTTAGEVictorian Heritage Register H0594
IRON HOUSEVictorian Heritage Register H0665
CHRIST CHURCHVictorian Heritage Register H0129
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687