The two former Presbyterian Churches at 212 Sydney Road, Brunswick, are of local historical and architectural significance. They form a noteworthy pair, the later building designed by Evander McIver, who was also responsible for the first stage of the Brunswick Municipal Offices in 1867. The 1865 bluestone church is an early example of an ecclesiastical building in bluestone in Brunswick, and its spire, of locally-produced cream brick, is of particular architectural note. The churches demonstrate the Presbyterian (now Uniting) Church's continuous association with this site of more than 130 years, and the complex as a whole is a landmark on Sydney Road.
The two former Presbyterian churches at 212 Sydney Road, Coburg, are in the Gothic Revival style.
The first church (1865), the smaller of the two, is of bluestone, an unusual cream brick spire topped with a delicate iron cross, and a combination of cream brick and stone dressings to openings. The buttresses tower and spire sit centrally at the western end; the entrance is beneath an ogee-arched opening surmounted by a small stone fleur-de-lys. Windows are pointed arches with tracery.
The second church (1884) is a bolder composition of dark brown brick with synthetic stone dressings. The spire sits on a somewhat stocky buttressed tower, and has scallop-edged louvres to paired pointed arch opening at the uppermost level, which is constructed of a medium-brown brick with dark brown brick spandrels. Synthetic stone quoining enlivens the tower and buttresses. The large west window has geometrical tracery. The church is entered via a pointed arched opening at the base of the tower. The north end, or rear of the nave, is apse like in form. The east transept, at the rear of the building, is of red brick, as are a further suite of rooms connecting the two buildings to the east.
Key Architectural Elements: notable bluestone and face dark brown brick Gothic Revival designs
prominent siting and streetscape presence
possibly original iron picket front fence
Comparative Examples: 1865 ChurchHoly Trinity Church, 520 Sydney Road, Coburg
Principal Historic Themes: establishment of permanent places of worship
association with individuals or families