The former Kew Police Station and former Court House was built as part of a complex constructed to also accommodate a post office. The building was designed in the Queen Anne style by the Public Works Department's architect J Harvey and completed in 1888.
How is it significant?
The former Kew Police Station and former Court House is of historic and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former Kew Police Station and former Court House, together with the Kew Post Office, is important because it exhibits diversity in integrating civil offices, and because the design accommodates the apex of road junctions. The former Police Station and Court House is important because it demonstrates a departure from the contemporaneously favoured High Victorian Classical to the Queen Anne style in the design of civic buildings. The former Kew Police Station and former Court House are of historic importance because of its relationship to, and ability to reflect, Melbourne's prosperity in the late nineteenth century; a prosperity which gave rise to the emergence of an upper middle class and the development of Kew as one of Melbourne's wealthier suburbs.