This remarkably intact house is probably the best example extant of domestic work of Grounds Romberg & Boyd. It was designed in 1959 towards the end of that significant partnership and links the pre-partnership work of its designer, Robin Boyd, with his later output. The site slopes steeply away from the street with the form of the long, narrow house stepping down the slope. The double roof structure (A theme often explored by Boyd) consists of an inverted sloping gable supported on exposed scissor trusses and a light membrane roof below. The interior, containing most of the original furniture and equipment, illustrates the designer's pervasive influence on, and involvement with, every selection.
The inventive detailing and choice of materials presaged the tastes of the following decade.
These include vertical limed hardwood lining, caneboard panelled ceiling, the inevitable metal freestanding fireplace and strong primary colours.