Elizabeth House is a substantial asymmetrical two-storey stuccoed brick structure in the Italianate style. In 1855 a ten roomed brick structure, by an unknown architect, was erected on this site for J D Pinnock by the Crawford Brothers. Part of the current structure may date back to that building. Pinnock carried out extensions in 1866, and the subsequent owner K E Brodribb also extended Elizabeth House after 1888.
The main facade has a two-storey cast iron verandah supported by slender fluted cast iron columns in pairs. There is an arcaded loggia to the rear. A strong cornice line with bold dentils encompasses the building. The balustraded parapet, with piers surmounted by pediments on four sides, is located to the main facade only. The windows have plain openings, in contrast to later examples of the Italianate style.
The main doorcase, with transom and side-lights, is decorated with quoins and voussoirs. The main reception room is believed to be substantially intact and includes stained glass, timber panelling and fittings.
How is it significant?
Elizabeth House is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
Elizabeth House is architecturally significant as a fine example of an Italianate style mansion in East Melbourne. The substantially intact late nineteenth century drawing room is a significant example of Victorian interior decoration.
Elizabeth House is historically significant as an example of the early development of East Melbourne, which was one of the first of the desireable mid-nineteenth century residential areas to be developed after Fitzroy, Collingwood and Richmond. Parts of the house may date back to 1855, which would make it one of the oldest in East Melbourne.