Devonshire Arms Hotel, Former - Physical Description 1
The Devonshire Arms was constructed of face brick on a bluestone plinth with a hip-and-valley shingle roof. The original building contains early construction materials such as pit-sawn timber and hand-made nails. A stable and kitchen was added in 1849-50 and, given the good condition of the remaining shingles and the hand-made nails used in its fixing, it appears that the corrugated iron roof was laid at this time. It is likely that these changes were made in response to the 1844 NSW licensing regulations governing sleeping accommodation. The 1870 Licensing Act resulted in further changes to the building when the kitchen was built over by the residential wing at the rear. It appears that the building was rendered at this time and windows replaced with the existing large-pane double-hung sash windows. Later renovations added such features as the ground floor pressed metal ceilings, but the building retains many of its earliest internal features, including two early timber mantles with brick hearths, the hotel and residence stairs, the lath-and-plaster ceilings and walls, remnants of hessian wall linings and many doors and architraves. Externally the building retains its original bar windows, gutter brackets, hotel sign on the side wall and shingles (under the corrugated iron).