The Bluestone Road Bridge over Jacksons Creek is a double arched bridge with adjoining abutments, constructed of blue stone with Flemish bond block work and ruled joints. The two span bridge has elliptical shaped arches both measuring 13.4 metres. The bridge was opened in 1870 and replaced an 1857 bridge. The bridge has two integral blue stone parapets and end walls; the piers are topped with rounded basalt capping stones. One of the piers rises from a basalt outcrop which is visible near the riverbank. The juxtaposition of the building material in its natural form against the carved and worked dimension stone of the base of the bridge is aesthetically pleasing.
Why is it significant?
The Bluestone Road Bridge over Jacksons Creek is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
How is it significant?
The Bluestone Road Bridge over Jacksons Creek is of architectural significance as an exemplary example of a Victorian Stone bridge. The bridge is representative of bridges constructed during the 1860's and 1870's however the combination of narrowing piers, the rounded tops to the piers and the elliptical arches, results in a particularly elegant stone construction. The bridge demonstrates the use of local dimension stone and illustrates the quality of craftsmanship of the time. While there are other examples of masonry bridges from the same period in Melbourne and regional Victoria, many of them have been altered to cater for the rise in motor vehicular traffic. The bridge over Jacksons Creek remains unaltered and has not been subject to alterations or adaptations. The bridge over Jacksons Creek is significant as a visual reminder of the evolution of early bridge construction techniques and for the individual design approach taken by its creator. The bridge over Jacksons Creek remains an outstanding example of a bridge built in the period 1860 to 1870.
The Bridge over the Jacksons Creek is of historical significance for its association with the goldrush era in Victoria's history. Road construction was accelerated following the economic boom of the gold rushes in Victoria and the Jacksons Creek Bridge was constructed in direct response to this, replacing an earlier timber bridge. The replacement of bridges was not uncommon in the early years of Victoria's cultural history and it is not unusual to find that bridges were replaced two or three times in one location as bridge construction techniques improved and an increase in traffic necessitated upgrades. The bridge over Jacksons Creek assists in a greater understanding of the development and impact of 19th century gold mining activities in the State and the resultant need for transport systems.