What is significant?
The former store and boarding house at 77 Pilleau Street, Coleraine is a complex of several buildings located on the corner of Pilleau and Winter Street. The former store is a single storey rendered brick building with three entrances, one to Winter Street between two shop windows, and two to Pilleau Street. The first part of the building was constructed in 1872 by George McKnight, who owned the property for a large part of the latter nineteenth century. In 1894, a local merchant, Jacob Skinner purchased the property to convert into a boarding house, which was not done until after 1900. The building has undergone various phases of development in the latter nineteenth century and further into the twentieth century.
How is it significant?
The former store and boarding house at 77 Pilleau Street, is of historical and architectural significance to the township of Coleraine.
Why is it significant?
The former store and boarding house at 77 Pilleau Street is of historical significance for its associations with local merchants, George McKnight and Jacob Skinner in the nineteenth century. It is of historical significance as the only surviving boarding house in Coleraine, and for its associations with a way of life which is now lost, that of the itinerant worker who went from town to town. It is of architectural significance as an example of a complex of buildings which show the phases of development over a long period of time.