23152 Brick Cottage 93 McConchie St Coleraine 1501
Statement of Significance
What is significant?
The brick cottage located at 93 McConochie street is a simple, symmetrical single storey brick cottage located three blocks south of the main street of Coleraine. The cottage is a simple painted brick cottage with a skillion attached to the rear of the building. The low roofs are hipped with no eaves and a bull-nose verandah runs along the facade of the cottage, supported by simple timber posts with capitals. The cottage is in fair condition and retains a fair degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The brick cottage at 93 McConochie Street is of historical significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
93 McConochie Street is of historical significance as a rare surviving example of early brick cottages in the residential area of Coleraine. It is one of three surviving examples of an early type of dwelling constructed by the first settlers. The use of locally manufactured bricks demonstrates an early industry and trade in the town. It is historically important for its associations with an early family in Coleraine, the Hutchins, who are still well represented within the township
This early cottage (visible in 1866 Bryans Creek photos) was the first home of the Hutchins family who migrated from Alton England to Port Philip district in 1852, settling in Coleraine in 1855. This home was built for John Hutchins and his new bride Mary Ann Patching in circa 1864. The couple raised 13 children in this tiny cottage. Mary Ann Hutchins was the Coleraine mid-wife until her death in 1926. Her husband John Hutchins was a farm labourer at Koonongwootong and later a bullocky.