What is significant?
The Coleraine War Memorial is located in the Whyte Street, the main street in Coleraine. It has been situated in an important prominent location in front of the Court House. The Memorial assumes a typical form comprising a white marble statue of a soldier on a tapered granite pedestal. The soldier's face is downcast and his gun is inverted. The east and west faces of the pedestal bear the names and ranks of those who fell in World War One from the Shire of Wannon, and the southern face has a memorial dedication written on it. The pedestal stands on two shallow granite steps and a granite plaque bearing the names and ranks in gold of those who served and fell in World War Two rests against it. The War Memorial was erected by subscription from the people of Coleraine and cost seven hundred pounds. It was built by Messrs. Corbin and Sons from Clifton Hill, and was unveiled in front of the Coleraine Court House on Empire Day, May 24th, 1921.
How is it significant?
The Coleraine War Memorial is of historic, social and aesthetic significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Coleraine War Memorial is of historic significance because it commemorates at a local level some of the most important events in the national history of Australia and especially the roles of those from the community who served and died.
It is of social significance as the focus of acts of commemoration such as Anzac Day and Remembrance Day, and as a place of homage for the community.
It is of aesthetic significance for its use of traditional form, style and iconography to express deep meaning. This significance is enhanced by its setting and location.