Statement of Significance
The Fire Station is located two blocks south of the geographical centre of the town, in Henty Street, close to the corner of Henty and Pilleau Street. The Fire Station was constructed in 1930, and is a small rendered brick building in the Stripped Classical style typical of conservative municipal buildings in the Interwar period. The building stands addressing the footpath and has a later rolling door for entrance and exit for the Fire Truck.
How is it significant?
The Fire Station in Henty Street, Coleraine is of architectural and historical significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Fire Station is of architectural significance as a typical example of conservative municipal buildings of the Interwar period, using the stripped classical form. It is of historical significance as an early Bush Fire Brigade building (later to become the CFA). It is also of historical significance as it represents the long standing relationship and importance which small country towns place on local fire authority.
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Physical Conditions
The building is in very good condition.
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Physical Description 1
The fire station is a small brick building in the Stripped Classical style typical of conservative municipal buildings of the Interwar period. It takes the usual form with a large doorway across the front, now with a roller door substituting for the original door which was probably comprised vertical timber leaves with highlight glazing. The facade is rendered and defined with represented structure using a temple form. Either side of the doorway are pairs of pilasters set on plinths which support a heavy frieze into which there is a pediment used as a parapet. There a simple square motifs in the frieze above each of the pilasters. Within the pediment there is a panel with the words "Fire Station 1930". The treatment of the facade returns for about one metre along the side walls. All of the detailing is fine and shallow. The whole trabeated system provides a simple but sombre and sturdy appearance. The side and end walls are plain face brick with high level windows and eaves. The roof is corrugated iron. A second garage has been built on the southern side. There is a tall metal bell tower at the rear of the building.
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Historical Australian Themes
Theme 4 Building settlements, towns and cities
4.2 Supplying urban services (power, transport, fire prevention, roads, water, light and sewerage)
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Usage/Former Usage
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Integrity
High degree of integrity.
COLERAINE FIRE STATION - Physical Description 2
D. D. Gray, Captain of the Bush Fire Brigade, 1930s
Charles McKebery, Secretary of the Bush Fire Brigade, 1930s (also four times President of the Shire of Wannon including 1919-23, 29-30, 32-33, 39-41)
Heritage Study and Grading
Southern Grampians - Southern Grampians Shire Heritage Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard P/L, Annabel Neylon
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH COMPLEXVictorian Heritage Register H0246
MECHANICS INSTITUTESouthern Grampians Shire
COLERAINE COURTHOUSE (FORMER)Southern Grampians Shire
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687
1) ST. ANDREWS HOTEL AND 2) CANARY ISLAND PALM TREENillumbik Shire