What is significant?
The Wangaratta Railway Station Complex was constructed in 1874 by R Vincent on the Melbourne-Wodonga line for the Victorian Railways. It comprises a substantial, predominantly single storey, bi-chromatic brick station building with a two-storey section with hipped roofs. The station building is complemented by other structures within the complex such as the circular, four-level brick base to the cast iron water supply tank system, a water column, a crane, a timber signal box, a corrugated iron goods shed and a footbridge. The passenger platform wall is brick with a basalt coping.
How is it significant?
Wangaratta Railway Station Complex is historically and architecturally significant to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
Wangaratta Railway Station is architecturally significant as the only remaining intact example of a major bi-chromatic brick structure on the V-Line network. The station building is an important member of the 'St Arnaud' style of railway station building, which were developed to cater for the demands of the larger inland towns. Of classical design, with a standard 'U' shaped plan, the typical features of the style include verandahs to both elevations, polychrome brickwork, and a refreshment room. The station's importance as a late Victorian junction station on the North-Eastern railway is enhanced by the other structures within the complex, such as the large, circular, four-storey brick water supply system, water column, crane, signal box and goods shed.
Wangaratta Railway Station is historically significant for its associations with the steam era, the water tower serving as an important reminder of this. The large four-storey brick water supply system is significant as a substantially intact example of the large railway water towers constructed during the late 19th century to facilitate the operation of the steam engines. It is also significant for its associations with the 'light lines' era (c.1869 - c.1884).