Clayton North Primary School was established in 1865 and in 1875 its original wooden school building was replaced by a stone and brick structure comprising one classroom. In 1909 a brick building was constructed in Edwardian Baroque Style which incorporated the earlier structure. The architect was JB Cohen of the Public Works Department. The school has been in continuous operation since 1865.
How is it significant?
The main brick building at Clayton North Primary School is of architectural and historical significance to Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The main school building is an extraordinary example of the Edwardian baroque style produced by the Public works Department with highly asymmetrical elevations combining a variety of gables, parapet lines, rain water heads and chimneys, and featuring a squat octagonal lantern bell tower. It successfully incorporates and earlier brick and stone structure into the design.