Statement of Significance
What is significant?
The Coburg police station built 1929-30 and designed under the supervision of the chief architect of the Public Works Department, E. Evan Smith is significant. The police station is associated with the courthouse on the adjoining site at 1A Main Street (HO322).
How is it significant?
Coburg police station is of local historic, representative and aesthetic significance to the City of Moreland.
Why is it significant?
Historically, the Coburg police station and courthouse built in 1929-30 and supervised by the chief architect of the Public Works Department E. Evan Smith, is significant for its association with the development of government facilities in Coburg between the wars. This window of opportunity was relatively short lived and represented a concerted effort to provide public facilities after the World War I and before the force of the economic depression affected the construction of public works. Situated a short distance west of the Coburg municipal complex at 88-92 Bell Street, the police station is historically significant for its association with this public precinct, having been relocated from the municipal buildings. The police station is historically significant for its association with the Coburg courthouse (HO322) at 1A Main Street, designed at the same time and by the same architect. (Criterion A) The Coburg police station is a fine and externally intact example of Interwar domestic architecture as applied to public buildings. Features of the style include the residential scale, use of similar forms and materials including hipped roofs, plain red brick and terra cotta tile. It is also a fine and intact example of the architecture of E. Evan Smith who created a fine body of work through his role as chief architect of the Victorian Public Works Department from 1922-1929. (Criterion D)
The Coburg police station is aesthetically significant for its design features of the centrally located and projecting porch with clinker brick arch and recessed entry. The finely detailed and curved parapet in cement render featuring a crown motif is a particularly fine element in the composition. The police station is aesthetically significant for its formal composition gained through its symmetrical elevation to Bell Street with hipped roof and tall chimneys balanced either side of the central section. (Criterion E)
COBURG POLICE STATION (FORMER) - Physical Description 1
The Coburg Police Station, 160 Bell Street, Coburg is a red brick interwar building with a hipped terracotta tiled roof with a number of plain red brick chimneys. The building is distinguished by a projecting entrance on the front (Bell Street) facade with a stylized rendered notched gable roof and a deep plain painted rendered parapet cutting into the main roof line. The painted render band runs under the eave line around the building. The entrance is located under the notched gable and is defined by an unpainted clinker brick round headed archway, the words 'COBURG POLICE STATION' and a modern blue and white 'Police' sign. Windows are generally grouped or single double hung sash.
COBURG POLICE STATION (FORMER) - Physical Conditions
COBURG POLICE STATION (FORMER) - Integrity
COBURG POLICE STATION (FORMER) - Physical Description 2
The Coburg police station is designed in the Interwar domestic style as described in the Survey of Police Buildings (O'Neill, 1990). O'Neill includes a descriptive list of types of police buildings as 'Domestic Style (1859-1950) with a subset of 'Between the Wars' - E. Evan Smith'.
The single storey police station facing Bell Street is a symmetrical composition with a hipped roof clad in terra cotta tile, and a pair of tall and plainly designed chimneys. The dominant feature is the projecting central section comprising a recessed entry porch and a pair of triple light sash windows. The entrance features a decorative arch in slim clinker brinks and applied lettering to a rendered panel; above which is a well detailed parapet of opposing curves with a crown set in a circular motif. The police station comprises an 'L'shaped plan around an open yard with some outbuildings and extensions at the rear. The walls are of plain face red brick punctuated by sash windows with a wide rendered band under the eaves. Externally the building has few alterations apart from a small extension to the rear.
Heritage Study and Grading
Moreland - Moreland Heritage Gaps Study 2017
Author: Context Pty Ltd
Moreland - Moreland City Council: Local Heritage Places Review
Author: Context Pty Ltd
Moreland - City of Coburg Heritage Conservation & Streetscape Study
Author: Timothy Hubbard Pty Ltd
INFANT BUILDING AND SHELTER SHED, PRIMARY SCHOOL NO.484Victorian Heritage Register H1709
COTTAGEVictorian Heritage Register H0689
HM PRISON PENTRIDGEVictorian Heritage Register H1551
"AMF Officers" ShedMoorabool Shire
"AQUA PROFONDA" SIGN, FITZROY POOLVictorian Heritage Register H1687